A 2009 film by the Asylum, it is the first movie based upon the Martian novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Asylum being famous for making cheap knock-off films (called 'mock'-busters) apparently made Princess of Mars to capitalize on the success of James Cameron's Avatar.
John Carter is a modern day U.S. sniper, he is wounded and sent to Mars (a planet named Mars orbiting Alpha Centuri rather than the actual Mars).
- Antonia Sabato Jr. - John Carter
- Matt Laskey - Tars Tarkas
- Chacko Vadaketh - Sarka/Sab Than
- Traci Lords - Dejah Thoris
- Mitchell gordon - Tal Hajus
- Noelle Perris - Sola
The film itself hardly resembles the original work but here a few key differences should be noted.
- The Tharks in this film are not fifteen foot tall Green Martians, but rather human sized yellow aliens.
- The movie does not take place on the actual Mars.
- The means of traveling to Mars is distinctly scientific, whereas in the book it is ambiguous and virtually unexplained.
- The film has been released under two alternate titles, "The Martian Colony Wars" in Europe, and when the film John Carter was released by Disney it was re-released as "John Carter of Mars".
- Matt Lasky who played Tars Tarkas in the film plays a green martian in the Disney adaption John Carter.
- Asylum produced two other films with Martians, based on H.G. Wells war of the worlds.
- The film made use of the Vasquez rocks for alien landscapes, a trait it shares with its Disney counterpart.